Thursday, July 12, 2012

Hungry Ghosts



I've only recently discovered these guys and was disapointed to see they haven't been around in decades.
When listening to them it's hard for me to believe their music was made in 1997; their sound must've been so distinct at the time. In fact, it really still is; in the instrumental/post-rock crowd, these guys really stand out. Very few acts in this genre break away from the popular formula set long ago(create band, copy Explosions in the Sky)

Mostly though I dig them because I've always been a fan of strings and accordian.
The top Youtube comment nailed my thoughts down...almost:
"I feel like I'm in a ballroom in France during the 1700s. The revolution is going on, but who cares? :)"

I've always searched for music like this since 2003, when I discovered a duo called "Mama!Milk", and never knew how to describe it other than "Frenchie-ish" or "Gypsy-esque". If anyone knows of anything similar (with a very modern style!), let me know!

If you're interested in this sound, I also suggest checking out:
Mama!Milk, Your Hand in Mine, DetektivbyrÃ¥n, and to a lesser extent the amazing EZ3kiel (wheres my new album?!), Burgundy Grapes, and of course Yann Tiersen.

1 comment:

  1. i'd say:
    A HAWK AND A HACKSAW
    Dead Man Street Orchestra
    (possibly impossible to find, but i'm gonna post some soon)
    Matt Elliott

    all of those are more gypsy-esque. Are you familiar with doom jazz?
    Bohren & Der Club of Gore
    Kiliminjaro Darkjazz Ensemble
    Heroin & Yr Veins

    this is fucking excellent. I like this music.

    ReplyDelete